Who Am I?
My name is Thuyen Nguyen, from Melbourne, Australia. On any given day, I am:
- A writer (novelist & screenwriting)
- A film maker (live action shorts & animation)
- A game developer (professional & indie)
- A comic creator (writing & questionable artist)
- A product manager (digital & mobile e-commerce)
By the way, it's pronounced Twin.
My second novel Game Trivia Catechism (also known as The King of Game Trivia) is based on the game "Game Trivia Catechism" by Multiple:Option.
Al doesn't know why his cousin Sally would pay for his trip home, but he readily accepts. Little does he know though that she's secretly entered him into the King of Game Trivia Tournament and expects him to score the ten-thousand dollar grand prize. Unprepared for competition, can Al do what it takes to win while keeping sane of Sally's demands at the same time?
THE KING OF GAME TRIVIA is a story by a gamer for gamers. Stuffed with so many references to the world of video games, you'll be lost and confused if you don't know your Nintendo from your Sega. And with actual trivia questions peppered throughout, even hardcore players will be tested and entertained by this fun-filled and unique journey into gaming culture.
My debut novel Note to Self is a story about an average guy and the girls who made him.
Tim Newman's spent most of his life trying to understand the opposite sex to no avail. From childhood crushes to random one-nighters, surely there's a way to learn from his mistakes so that the next one doesn't get away? Indeed, every guy out there can learn a thing or two from Tim's encounters - no matter how awkward or embarrassing.
A Question of Promise Volume 1 collects the first eight issues together for the first time in graphic novel format. The premise is pretty simple. Eric is an ordinary twenty-something guy. His housemate Dice is an extraordinary sentient pool-of-water. Together with Eric's girlfriend Eden, they go on the biggest adventure of all - Life.
"I'm proud that [Thuyen] found me and persuaded me to read his work and pleased that it's so good."
- Al Lowe, Leisure Suit Larry
"A pleasant read, too, so long as you're not expecting any superheroes in tights."
- Eric Caoili, Joystiq
"Simple, funny and sweet."
- Michelle Hughes, Stray Cinema
You'll find below a selection of my works, including film, machinima, writing and comics. Enjoy!
Collective Noun Filmworks
These are films which I helped make under the group name Collective Noun Filmworks, whose members were myself, Mark Angeli, Jim Batt, Paul Callaghan, Justin Halliday, and Ian Malcolm. Some of these won awards too!
As a professional games developer, I have worked at a number of Australian game studios including Atari.
The Devinquest Network
These are more focused sites for side projects that I work on.
She's as cool as a cucumber, but as quiet as a mouse, with a smile so wide that you can't help but be charmed!
A comic about a guy, a girl, and a sentient pool-of-water, as they go on the biggest adventure of all - Life.
Indie homebrew games development for various platforms, including Nintendo DS, iPhone, iPad and PC.
Friends of Devinquest
Here's a list of people I know and the great work that they do. Pay them a visit, will you?
- Temple - Design studio, creators of the Devinquest® logo font
- Jim Batt - Fellow member of Collective Noun Filmworks who is still living the dream
- Stray Cinema - Open source filmmaking
- Al Lowe - Famed creator of Lesiure Suit Larry, he wrote the foreword for A Question of Promise Vol. 1
- Paul Callaghan - Another Collective Noun Filmworks alumni, he's big on games literacy and industry
- Heroes Against Darkness - An indie d20 role-playing system that's free, fast and flexible
- Hero Kids - a simple and fun D&D-style fantasy RPG for boys and girls aged from 4-10